Friday, 26 October 2012

Candidate CV


VAL SHAWCROSS AM CBE - CANDIDATE CV

114 Grecian Crescent,
Upper Norwood,
Croydon,
SE19 3HJ
020 8670 8562 (H)



If I am privileged to be selected to stand for election for Croydon North, I promise you:

·        I will work immediately on an economic action plan for Croydon.
·        A central part of that action plan will tackle youth unemployment.
·        To encourage Croydon businesses to create apprenticeships for the young unemployed.
·        I will fight for those who suffered during the riots and who have received little help since.
·        To persuade the Government and BT to make sure have superbroadband across the town and ample free public WiFi facilities  to help business start-ups  with IT and communications.
·        I will lobby for extensions to Tramlink to give Croydon the best conditions for growth.
·        Croydon's wasted opportunity: I will push Croydon Council to use its planning powers to force the redevelopment of the huge derelict site by East Croydon station, as I did when in power as the council leader and successfully redeveloped the Grants site.
·        I will help ordinary families cope with the rising cost of living by promoting co-operative projects – promoting the use of the Credit Union and working against loan sharks.
·        I will help families reduce energy bills through a co-operative energy purchase scheme.
·        I will fight for the protection and improvement of our essential services
·        I shall seek improvements to Croydon University Hospital and work closely with Labour colleagues to protect the future of Primary Care.
·        I will fight to keep the South Norwood Police Station and maintain policing services.
·        I shall lobby for improved disability access at our railway stations (especially Norwood Junction), and to maintain ticket office and station staff.
·        I shall press for legislation to tackle high private rents and exploitative agencies.


I will maintain the highest standards of personal probity.

I will never make any unjustified or self-serving financial claims.

My taxes will be published up front and up to date, and while I am Croydon North’s MP, I will not engage in any other income-earning activities such as directorships or consultancies.

I will treat the constituency as my number one priority and step down from my other elected role at the most appropriate opportunity. In the meantime, I would only draw the salary of an MP. 

Labour Party experience
·        Croydon Councillor 1994 to 2000, including Education Chair, Deputy Leader and Leader
·        London Assembly Member (GLA) for Lambeth and Southwark 2000 to date
·        Running mate as Deputy to Ken Livingstone in 2012 London Mayoral election
·        Chair and Labour Leader on London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority 2000 to 2008
·        Labour Transport Spokesman on London Assembly 2008 to date
·        Member of the Metropolitan Police Authority 2009 to 2012
·        When the candidate dropped out I fought Bermondsey and Old Southwark parliamentary seat at short notice in 2010 against Simon Hughes, helping Labour gain control of Southwark Council by targeting key wards
·        Member Greater London Labour Party Regional Board 1997 to 2000
·        National Women’s Officer (drafted up the first proposals for the creation of the All-Women Shortlists in 1993)
·        Active member of Labour Party since age 19, active in Croydon since 1985

Employment
·        World University Service UK (refugee charity)
·        UK Council for Overseas Students Affairs UK
·        Inner London Education Authority
·        Project Manager Commonwealth Secretariat
·        Head of Public Affairs National Federation of Women’s Institutes
·        Contract work including promoting democracy and human rights in Nigeria and Ghana for the Westminster Foundation for Democracy.
·        Women's political representation in India for the Commonwealth Local Government Forum

Academic and other qualifications
BA Hons, Political Theory and Institutions, Liverpool University (1980)
MA Adult Education, London University Institute of Education (1986)    

Awarded the CBE for services to Croydon in 2002
Long-standing active member of the GMB Union and Co-operative Party
Patron of three Youth Charities
Member of the Socialist Christian Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment